Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More dreams

So, in my scrapbook, I have a page listing three goals I had in life: buying a home, eating at Melting Pot, and staying at Anniversary Inn. Well, those are fulfilled. (And don't forget riding on an elephant, of course.) Something else I wished for as a child was to have a child born in the year 2000. I figured that by age 26, that wasn't too much to ask for. Luckily I got married in 1998 and we were blessed with our first child in that first week of 2000. You wouldn't believe how busy that hospital was. I think everyone wanted to have the milennial baby. We didn't plan on that specifically, but once we knew our due date, the concept seemed fun. Didn't happen. That's ok.

I realize, though, that these goals, although fun and good, don't really touch on me. My personal goals for accomplishment or learning. What DO I want to do or become? Right now I am trying to focus on my roles as wife and mother. I don't think I would be satisfied in whatever I tried to do unless I was satisfied with who I am with my husband and my children. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what else matters most to me. Gardening? I'm not so good at that. I'd like to keep the plants alive, but I don't plan on keeping a farm. Family History? Well, I am getting more caught up on my photo preservation (scrapbooking). This is also a creative outlet for me. I would love to extend my creativity to decorating my home...but I am clueless about choosing colors and trim. I think our friend Vanessa needs to come help me with that. She lives in California, but maybe we can convice her she needs a vacation. (To Oklahoma??) Writing? Between this blog and my scrapbooks, I am progressing on that one.

I have thought that getting published sounds like something I might want to do someday. But on what topic and in what forum, that is yet to be discovered. I have thought about three ideas: weekly public interest columns (but again, this blog serves that purpose without having a deadline!), religious non-fiction, or children's picture books. Problem there being I am not an artist. Again, I have a friend, Susannah, who is. I'll have to contact her about that someday. And Kimber Dawn was an english major and working in publishing. I guess she would be another good friend to have for this one. But for now, it is blogging and journaling in my scrapbooks.

No comments: