Thursday, August 28, 2008

First Day of School!

Wednesday was the first day of school in Santa Fe.  The kids were excited to start school...which we expected of Courtney, but Ben hasn't always liked school.  They have to wear uniforms, and this year we bought them in enough time to be able to get what we wanted.  Last year we learned not to wait until the last minute to shop for school uniforms because apparently the stores only carry them once a year.


You'll also notice all three kids have backpacks on.  Johnny sooo wishes that he could go to school too.  I took the kids into the school yesterday so we could find out their teachers and deliver the bags full of supplies.  (I woke up this morning with very sore shoulders...two kids' supplies are quite heavy.)  First we walked to Courtney's first grade room and met Mrs. G (Ms. Garcia).  There are 4 kids in her class from last year.  Ben's third grade class was next.  He was hoping for Ms. Natalie who he had for math last year, but he got Ms. Powell.  This is the teacher recommended to me for him because she is experienced and has a very organized and controlled classroom.  I didn't make a request but he got her anyway.  There is only one kid from his class last year, but it is someone he got along with.

Johnny was distraught that we didn't then find a classroom for him at the school.  Two more years, kiddo.  Once we got outside, we walked a bit and he stopped and looked up at me and said, "Look mommy, I'm happy now!"  And gave me the biggest cheesiest grin.    

When we picked up the kids after school, they were both just jumping for joy happy!  They had an awesome day and loved their new classes and being in a new grade and wahooooooo!!!!  In a couple weeks, we'll see if they are both still super thrilled to be back at school.  Courtney will be, I'm sure.  But I don't know about Ben.  The first half of the school year is usually really hard for him, adjusting to the classroom and teacher and finding friends.  I hope he continues excited.  Apparently his teacher has a codeword which he finds hilarious:  SALAMI.  That means: Stop and Look at Me Immediately.  MUSTARD is the code word for get back to work.  LOL


Oh, and inspired by Debbie I tried a back to school cake too.   After I frosted it I realized I should have cut the top off to look more like a bus.  Oh, well.  It was fun to make anyway.  We went to Long John Silvers for dinner and then came home for cake and root beer.  Somehow all loaded up with sugar they managed to go to sleep at a decent time.




3 comments:

KAT said...

What a cute idea to do a cake!

debbie said...

Great cake! What kind of pan did you use? I used a bread pan. Funny that Courtney's teacher is Mrs. G. Ryan's 1st grade teacher was Mrs. G. also...for Giordano. I'm glad they had a great day. It makes it easier to send them back the next day.

Just me said...

Hi Karen,

I hope you remember me: this is Belen, from Madrid, Spain, I just found your blog, and I am so happy to see that you and your family are doing good.

I am glad that your kid´s first day at school was good, and the cake is so cute.

If you dont mind, I will keep your blog in my computer, so that I can know a little bot more about you.It was really great to find you.

Have a great day.

Un abrazo desde España.